Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lake Mills Sprint Tri

Maybe 3-4 weeks ago I decided to sign up for the Lake Mills Sprint Triathlon.  My reason was singular, I have not done an open water swim of any sort since Ironman Wisconsin in 2009.  With Kansas 70.3 looming a week from today, I wanted at least one test run before dropping in for the 1.2 mile swim.

Couldn't be happier with the decision.  Within maybe a 100 yards of the swim start I started to freak out, panic maybe.  Combination of going out to hard, a little contact, coldish water, and a couple of not so clean breaths.  Bobbed a couple times, took a few strokes, bobbed a bit more, and resumed swimming.  Was a little hairy there for a moment,  wasn't sure I was going to be able to recover.

Remainder of the swim was largely uneventful, did swim square into one dude doing the elementary backstroke.  Made it out just shy of 8-minutes for the 1/4 mile swim.

The rest of the race was gravy, wasn't real concerned about anything else today but the swim.  Enjoyed the bike, said hi to most that I passed, thanked the volunteers.  Did have to swear at one rider who out of nowhere decided to do a u-turn right in front of me (after I had already moved left preparing to pass her).  Was a very close call.  Just shy of 48-minutes for the 16 mile bike.

Run was an uneventful out and back on a gravel trail.  No watch, just ran at what felt like a decent pace.  25:23 for the run.

Overall time was 1:25:xx.  Which put me just back of midpack in my age group and just up from the midpoint among the men.

Wife took a bunch of pics, but these are the only two I like:


Floating, just after the bike dismount.





Coming into the finish, maybe another 10-yards.


I really like that second photo, even more so because of the back story.  The dude behind me, #541, passed me maybe 100-150 yards before this point.  On any given day, and especially today, I wouldn't have given it a second thought and just let him go.  But as he went by I happened to look down at his calf and noticed he was in my AG.  So for shits and giggles I decided to sit on his heels and try and take him at the line.

About the point where the women in yellow is standing I picked it up, went to the outside, and ended up holding him off by a second.  I sit here looking at the picture and still laugh, pretty much at myself just for doing it.

So Kansas 1-week from today.  Should be interesting, if the swim doesn't kill me the run just might.  It's supposed to be hot, I don't deal with heat well.  But I like the Kansas 70.3.  Of all the races I've done, this was my favorite venue/course.  Looking forward to getting back.

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled back on your new blog after fumbling around for a couple of years - good to 'see' you out there getting it done. Kill it in Kansas!

    ReplyDelete