Monday, July 11, 2011

WWTPD

What would the peloton do?   This thought passed through my head tonight on my ride home from work.  I was approaching the base of a smallish hill, completely gassed (I was over 10 miles into my ride) and trying to figure out how to best get up the hill as quick as possible with the least amount of damage.

What would the peloton do?

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have blinked and just kept on going.  It wasn't a big hill.  But those guys in the Tour de France, sorry le Tour de France,  Anyway, they are amazing, and frankly, I'm not sure how they do it.   During one of the first stages the announcers were going over a lot of the riders heights/weights.  Amazingly, not all that different from me.  Probably 5'-10" to 6' on average, 150-160 pounds.  Pretty much my height and weight, well, race weight anyway.

Except of course I lack the ability to accelerate from 30 mph to 40+ mph as necessary, hold speeds in the high 20's for hours on end, and climb like a billy goat.  Then do it again, day, after day, after day.  Ridiculous. 

Watching le tour makes me feel like I don't know how to ride a bike, at all.  Like I must be doing something wrong to be this slow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment