Saturday, November 5, 2011

Beer Run

Tyranena Beer Run today.  Totally under trained, almost completely unprepared.  Training was going really well....

October started off on the same note as September.  Then I spent a week in Wyoming.  No running.  It's been very much hit and miss since the return.  So be it.  On to today.

Tyranena Beer Run.  13.1 miles.  Low 40's at the start, probably up into the 50's by the end, and windy.  But overall a nice day.

Highlight of the day by far, running with my sister.  Her endurance career and mine have never overlapped, and we've never done anything close to this together.  Was very cool to get this opportunity, and to run the entire race with her.

The two of us prerace.

Not a whole lot to say about the actual race.  The first 5 or 6 miles were fairly hilly, and largely into the wind.  Spent a good mile or so running downwind of a nasty ass farm.  Not fun.  The remainder of the race was fairly flat, and my mental capabilities seemed to have left me about this time as well.  Somewhere in the middle of mile 7, I calculated we had less than 4 miles left. Not sure how I did that.  Wishful thinking perhaps.

Other than some mild tightness in my left leg I made it through the first 9-10 miles without much difficulty.  The last 3 miles sucked.  Plain and simple. 

Coming into the finish with the children.

Finished in 2:08:45.  Pretty happy with it considering.  Anything around 2:10 would have been a huge success.  Still the slowest half I've run (by almost 13 minutes) but I knew it would be going in, and I'm in better shape now, going into Ironman training, than I have been at any point going into any of my previous tri seasons.  So I got that going for me.

Chilling with the children post race.

On to the next segment of the pre-Ironman training warm up.  Going to continue to run.  Looking to race again in the next month or so to keep the motivation up to train.  Wilson has found a home on the trainer.  Going to do some easy spinning 2-4x per week in prep for my winter bike plan.  Also hoping to get out a few more times on Bel.  Lastly, I intend to spend some time in the pool, albeit begrudgingly.

Kelly, thanks again for running with me.  Let's do it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment