Friday, December 2, 2011

Nov. Recap

November fell short in some areas, and excelled in others.  But overall, I feel pretty good about the month, and even better about where I am in relation to where I need to be.  To summarize the month....

Swim
I stated long ago that November would be the start of my swim training, and it was, in as much as I did make it into the pool.  Twice.  1,800 yards.  Total.  And it didn't completely suck, only because the kids were with me both times.  I don't think I'm ready to swim alone.

Funny story.  First time in, first time down the pool, we all grabbed kick boards and I started off.  Less than 10 yards down the lane both kids (10 and 7) go absolutely flying past me, big ass grins on their faces.  I felt like the slowest piece of crap in the world.  Absolutely destroyed whatever ego I had, crushed my hopes of picking up with swimming again fairly quickly.  Took me about 5 seconds in that deflated state to realize they both had flippers on, little shits.  Hope restored.

Bike
Wilson found his way to the trainer in the basement and I actually found my way down there to ride a handful of times.  Nothing strenuous or long.  Just enough to get used to the trainer again and prepare for the hell that will be the next 4 months.  I bought a Powertap, and combined with Jorge's winter cycling plan, the two should bring the trainer experience to a whole new level of hell.

The highlight of the month was a return trip to Ray's and a day after Thanksgiving mountain bike ride at Camrock, in shorts, in Wisconsin.  Ray's was a blast, no blood shed, no broken ribs.  Left very tired after over 8 hours there with Patrick.  The Camrock ride was just a beautiful fall day solo go.  Mid-50's, sun shining.  Sigh, winter is going to suck.

Run
This seems to be the only aspect of "training" that is actually on track.  Ran just shy of 80-miles in November including the two races.  This is 60 miles more than I've ever run in November, so I feel pretty good about the run going forward.

Mid-month I completely revamped my run training plan.  Where as previously I was trying to run at most every other day, I am now looking to run 6-days a week.  My weekly mileage is still low (20ish), so these are all fairly short efforts, but I have a plan laid out to take me all the way to IMMT if I choose to continue with it.

December
While IMMT training doesn't officially start until mid January, I intend on continuing to build my run base from here on out (please weather cooperate).  Will start Jorge's 16-week bike plan in mid-December, this will allow me to complete it about the same time spring comes around and I'll want to be riding outside.

That leaves swimming.  Seeing as I swam twice in November, maybe I'll shoot for four times in December, or twice a week, or something along those lines.  If I can get up to about 2,000 yards per session by mid January I'll be happy.

And there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment