Friday, February 4, 2011

BAT

This plate held what was the best sandwich I've had in a long time.

I'm not a food blogger, nor do I really aspire to be, but had I known, I would have taken a picture of it before I took the first bite.  About 1/2 way through I realized the error of my ways.  

The sandwich, a bacon, I know, do you really need to hear anymore.

You had me at bacon.  Sniff.

Anyway it was a bacon, arugula, and tomato (BAT) sandwich from Marigold Kitchen in Madison.  Marigold is one of my favorite breakfast haunts, but I rarely make it there for lunch.  BLT's are also one of my favorite sandwich combos.  Crunchy, tangy, juicy, deliciousness.  And even though I wasn't thinking BLT when I ordered, that is basically what this sandwich was, but taken to a whole new level.

That new level held the mayo and replaced it with cream cheese and a wonderful pepper jam. 

So combine nicely toasted rosemary bread as a base, add crunchy smokey bacon, cream cheese, whipped, so the menu says, juicy tomatoes, and this sweet, slightly spicy pepper jam.  Yum.  The arugula, while certainly making the sandwich a tad prettier, kind of got lost on me.

I started thinking about the sandwich and the pepper jam again on the way home.  It is definitely something I'd like to experiment with.  I know there are vendors at the Madison Farmers Market that sell a very similar jam.  Where it goes from there I don't know.  But I'd be willing to bet bacon will be involved in at least one iteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment