Monday, February 7, 2011

Skiing

Last week while downloading my empty plate picture I came across the following two pictures I took while cross county skiing at Lake Kegonsa State Park.  It was the first time I skied the White Oak Nature Trail this winter.  I knew there was a reason I had been avoiding it.

Random tree shot.

Another.

Looking at them now, they don't seem all that remarkable.  Which likely means I was completely gassed (from my 15 minutes of skiing) and needed an excuse to stop.  If I'm remembering correctly I tried to tackle a similar tree at the bottom of a hill just earlier.  When I went down I was pretty sure I had broken a ski (it's happened before).  But all seemed intact when I pulled it out of the snow bank and I continued on. 

It was also on this day that I wore my Garmin, purely out of curiosity.  Unfortunately it confirmed my suspicions, I can in fact run faster than I can ski.  So if I ever decide to actually do the Birkie, I'll be better off carrying my skis and running rather than skiing it. Sad I am.  Skiing is hard.

It was two days later when I returned to the state park that I noticed my ski was in fact broken.  About a foot from the tip, more or less in tact, but just sort of, well, limp.  It is still skiable for the most part, but it sucks all the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment