Saturday, February 26, 2011

Carnage

Right Calf

It almost looks like I had another run in with another dog.  But for something like this to happen I'd likely need to be out running in shorts and winter seems to have returned to Wisconsin.  Furthermore, I'd actually need to be out running, but more on that in the weekly recap.

In reality, this is pedal damage from several direct blows to the calf.  Must. Keep. Feet. On. Pedals.  The left calf looks similar, but not quite as bad.

Left Knee

Floor burn basically, in this case, wall burn.  Winding down another night at Ray's in Milwaukee, getting a little lazy, knee grazes wall.  Ouch.

So why do it, why ride a mountain bike, why shed blood virtually every time out, why risk taking a header into a tree or rock?  These are but a few of the questions I'm asked from friends who just don't get it.

Beyond the pure enjoyment of it, the challenge, very often the beauty of the natural environment, not to mention the lack of vehicular traffic, the distracted drivers, etc.  Beyond all that, last night, for almost 4 hours, I completely forgot about the state budget and our jackass governor.  I completely forgot about work and all the bullshit politics I get to deal with on a daily basis.  I completely forgot about the horrendous noise my truck was making the other day.

For almost 4 hours, I was a kid on a bike, riding over logs and rocks for no other reason then they were there, and I could.  Or I could at least try.  So I did.  Most of that park still gets the best of me, and I don't care.  After almost two months of trying, I can almost "jump" the beginner jump line, and that makes me happy.

Some will claim that running, or swimming, or road riding, will take them to the same place, but I disagree.  During most portions of these activities, it's all you can do not to think about daily life.  Endless laps in the pools, miles of path or road in front of you.  Nothing to truly distract you like the regular switchbacks, hills, and obstacles of good singletrack.

So I'll shed a little blood, break some bike parts, or bikes, and in the end come out smiling.  Because for whatever time I was able to get out there, I could remember what it was like to be a kid.

3 comments:

  1. I do disagree with you. I rarely get distracted with life on the bike or in the pool. Running is just stress relief, but it is when I ponder. Mountain biking? I'd be too consumed about how I might get hurt... Glad you had a good time. You might try to keep from getting hurt though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm just curious if you're still smiling...
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete