Monday, February 21, 2011

Week 11

Oh how I wish.  In reality, this post is a summary of weeks 5 and 6 together (5+6=11, for you mathematically challenged out there).

The good, I reconnected with my bestest running buddy Anna and cranked out two decent saturday morning long runs (12 and 13 miles).  Despite her need to begin these long runs at ungodly hours of the morning, it's worth it to have the company. Misery loves company so they say.

Also good, winter took a bit of a reprieve, much snow melted, and layers of running clothes went unused.  Spring seemed all but here.  Of course we got belted with snow and ice again yesterday, and the bitter cold winds have returned with a vengeance.  Much suckage for this weeks runs predicted.

Not so good, I've been on a regular ice, stretch, repeat routine just to manage the shin splints.  Not getting any better.  This past Saturday's long run almost got called because it.  Couldn't decide if I would be further ahead with rest or pushing through the run.  Verdict is still out.

I also spent a lot of time down at the capitol last week protesting the recent "budget repair bill" proposed by our wonderful governor here in Wisconsin (sarcasm is sometimes hard to convey in print).  Wednesday I ran down there from my office, milled about for an hour or so, then ran back.  Thursday and Friday I drove down.  Friday was the more interesting of the days, as I got there in time to listen to several people talk on the subject.

I'm not going to get into the issue, as a public union employee, I am against it, and could probably write volumes, but I won't.  From my personal point of view, the people watching is the most interesting aspect of being down there.  I wish I could have made it down Saturday when the Tea Party rally took place along with the kill the bill rally.  Perhaps tomorrow I will return.

But back to running and such.  Put in 48.4 miles during the last two weeks.  Pace is still just slightly faster then dead.  It did improve slightly over previous weeks, although the upturn in the temperature may be somewhat responsible.  As I look out my window now things don't look good.  Ice is covering everything and the 14 flags I can see are whipping like mad.  Not weather I want to run in.  Thursday and Friday I'm heading to Green Bay for work, I may try to sneak in a Ray's ride on the way back Friday. 

Ten weeks left to La Crosse, no pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment