Saturday, March 5, 2011

Man Down

Ironic, after my last post that I have to write this one. 

After almost 3-hours in the ER, x-rays, blood and urine tests, along with some heavy narcotics fed directly into my arm, I was told it was nothing but bruised ribs.

I say bullshit, bruised ribs couldn't possibly hurt this much, even with the Vicaden.  I've since switched to something stronger.  It doesn't seem to help.  This morning it took me over an hour to try and figure out how to get off the couch.  Then about 10 minutes to actually do it, with help.  I'm done with the couch for now, good thing our bed is comfortable, and about a foot higher than the couch.  I'm really glad I haven't had to take a dump yet.  I may end up stuck there.

It was Ray's again, a return trip with Patrick.  Not even sure how it happened, but I dismounted my bike over the bars, landing on the incline to the second jump in the beginner jump line.  Hard.  I wasn't riding very fast, but I must have hit pretty square.  

Rear right rib cage took the brunt of the impact, and my right hip and elbow also decided to get in on the action.  Had a really hard time breathing, couldn't get much in the way of words out.  All in all, it made the fresh blood running down my leg from earlier all but an afterthought. 

It's frustrating on so many levels.  I was just starting to figure out how to actually jump that line, more with technique rather than speed, a good thing.  And I've ridden it hundreds of times.  Yesterday, every second run I did was down that line.  That last one started out no different than any of the others. 

Going forward, I don't know what this is going to mean for marathon training.  I have to believe I'm going to be out for at least a week.  Doc told me three weeks for full recovery.  That would only leave me with 5 weeks to prepare.  Sigh.  Stupid monkey.

I do have to tip my hat to everyone at Ray's, they not only helped me get up and off the course, they stored our bikes and gear for us, gave us a ride to the hospital, waited there with us, gave us a lift back, and gave us two complimentary passes for a future visit.  They really went out there way to make sure we were taken care of, and for that, I truly am grateful.

Sadly, I don't even have any good pictures.  There is very little discoloration, nothing to show for all this discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment