Monday, January 9, 2012

Goals - B

B in this instance would be bragging rights.  It is my full intention during 2012 to unify all the meaningful endurance titles within the household.  And my meaningful, I mean anything that doesn't rely entirely, or significantly, on swimming. 

G and I likely split these titles fairly evenly at this point, but we can't have that any longer.  It's time to put my foot down and show her who wears the pants tri/running shorts in this family.

As far as triathlon goes G holds the sprint and olympic distance triathlon titles at this point.  The sprint title will be mine after J-Hawk in late April, the site of our first triathlon, and a race G has done 3 or 4 times now.  I'll need to go around 1:24.  Should be a cake walk, if the weather cooperates, which it usually does not do.

As for the olympic, a return to Lake Geneva and the Bigfoot Triathlon seems in order.  G and I did this race together in 2008.  She started 10 minutes after me and we popped out of the water right next to each other.  Did I mention I can't swim?  This was my only olympic race, she has done a couple.  I think I'll need to go about 2:52 to take this one down.  Probably be my toughest challenge, given the long swim relative to the rest of the race.  This distance may be removed from the "meaningful" list depending on how I do.

I hold the the half and full Ironman belts already, but just to remove any potential asterisk in the record book, I'll be shooting to beat G's Door County record of 5:48 at Kansas, two weeks before Bigfoot.  The asterisk, in case anyone is  wondering, or reading, is due to the  fact that I finished the 2009 Racine 70.3 in 5:35, but the swim was way short.  My swim time was around 13 minutes faster there than at any other half I've ever done.  So, we'll shoot for 5:48, in 2009 I think I finished Kansas at 6:14.  As for the Iron, I'm no longer concerned about losing that title, but I'll hopefully cement it's legacy at Tremblant anyway.

As for stand alone run events, I'm not entirely sure where we stand on those.  She's been running long before I even thought about toeing a line, so without significant research I don't know the standings.  Therefore, in 2012 I'll plan on running at least one of each common run distance.  I think I have them all included in my race plan for the year, but I'll have to go back and check. 

The big caveat here is the marathon, she's finished two, I've registered for two, started one, finished none.  I'm contemplating one post Ironman, I just don't know that I'll have the motivation to keep training for another couple of months. Maybe 2013, destination type race, Kel?

And there you have it, the B goals, almost completely, totally, partially in jest.  Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment